-A +A
The Graffiti of the late 16th and the early 17th centuries.

At that time, Bonaguil was the privileged place for gallant parties whose testimonies left on the indoor walls the memory of their presence…

In 1761, Marguerite of Fumel, acquires Bonaguil and she makes the fireplaces recovered with woodworks, the seven drawbridges turned into dormant bridges, the new apartments furnished and she has the walls of her new house coated to create new decors…

In 1794 arrives LAKANAL, a Parisian politician, who enact construction laws in Paris that some, TROUPEL-LAGRAVE among these, apply thoroughly in the Lot-et-Garonne. Bonaguil loses its roofs, its woodworks, its door and window frames, a part of its towers and ramparts. Bonaguil loses height but none of its prestige! The Castle was bought back by Fumel community in 1860. The mayor was moved by the hypothetical disappearance of this monument. Since 1862, the place has been listed as a National Historical Monument.

Several campaigns of reconstruction were achieved. Multiple archeological excavations initiated in the Castle in 1972 revealed traces of graffiti which a great number were located in a high room of the Big Tower. The municipality of Fumel and the Historical Monuments undertake in 2004 a backup operation. The stabilization works of the murals are delegated to experts that manage to save the most graffiti at risk. Vestiges of the past, these stoned lyrics or walls’ writings were presented to the public in September 2005. They add History to this place.